Iowa Permanent Makeup License Requirements
Last updated: May, 2017
The Iowa Department of Public Health regulates cosmetic tattoo, issuing establishment and artist permits.
In order to get an artist permit, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or G.E.D. (On-line high school diplomas are not acceptable)
- Complete Bloodborne Pathogen and Standard First Aid Training
- Complete Tattoo Artist Application
- Submit fee of $75.00 along with application
If you would like to set up a permanent makeup establishment, you must:
- Complete Permanent Establishment Application
- Submit $100.00 fee along with the application and floor plan
- Be located in a commercially-zoned building
- Pass inspection conducted by the Designated Inspection Agency
- Meet all requirements outlined in 641 Iowa Administrative Code, Chapter 22. ReadIowa Code here.
Note: It is illegal to tattoo a minor in Iowa regardless of whether they have parental consent or not.